Friday, July 24, 2009

Mornings... Blech! Blech! & Kid's Thoughts... Fun! Fun!

Have I always hated mornings? I guess my mom would have to answer that... but I sure have in recent years. I think if sunrises came a lot later, I would love them. :-) Right now, there have been trucks outside my window, working on the road, since before 7 a.m. What is their problem? OK, enough complaining about mornings.

I treated myself last night to a fun evening. Now it may not sound like fun to everyone but that's OK. I was content!! First, I went to Target for some wedding gifts. Normally, I don't like shopping but when it's for someone else... and I have a list to choose from... and it's not going to take very long... then I don't mind it so much. I was in and out in less about 20 minutes. Then it was off to the hairdresser. Michelle does wonders with her magic fingers. It's so relaxing to get my hair done. I love it! After that it was a short walk to Bug's store while she closed up and then we headed to dinner at PJ's. The Cardinal game had just started back up after a rain delay. However, by the time we finished, it was raining again. We walked outside... talked a bit more... started walking to our cars in opposite directions and a deluge came. Thankfully, I did not have very far to go and Bug had an umbrella with her. It lasted about a minute.

I posted in my previous note about spending time with the grandkids at the Mills. We had some interesting words of advice from Sammy... "Poppy, why are you driving so fast in the neighborhood? My mommy and daddy don't drive this fast." "Poppy, you're driving too slow on the highway. Why are you driving so slow?"

We're driving up 270 and this conversation takes place:
Poppy: Sammy, can you tell me how to get to our house?
Sammy: I don't have a map.
Masha: You can be a navigator. They read maps.
Sammy: I don't know how to be an abigator.

Sammy & Lizzie rode kiddie cars that just go round and round. When the ride stopped, Lizzie puts her hands in the air and says, "I'm the winner!"
We've been at the Mills for quite a while. We've shopped... played games... rode race cars... had lunch. We're walking through the arcade area and Charlie asks me what I want to do now. I tell him that I'm tired and it's time for the Cardinal game so let's just go home. Sammy is not missing a word of this and says: "Actually, Moppy, it's not time for the Cardinal game. Let's do some more." So we went to the Cardinal store and bought the kids their caps. Lizzie immediately picked out a pink Cardinal hat with Tinkerbell and silver stars. What Tinkerbell has to do with the Cardinals, I have no idea. And a pink Cardinal hat? But she was insistent and I knew there was no changing her mind. We started heading for the exit but Sammy saw the Haagen-Daas sign and yells, "It's time for ice cream!" And Lizzie even wanted pink ice cream.
My sister, Brenda, reminded me yesterday of how nice the weather was 9 years ago. Jason & Jenny were married on July 22 and I remember wondering why anyone would pick the middle of July with the heat and humidity in St. Louis. But it was an absolutely beautiful, cool day.

My baby sister, Bev, had a birthday on Wednesday... and I'm a slacker for not even wishing her a happy birthday!! So sorry... I'm a terrible big sister. The day just got away from me. Now I'm sad. :-(


No comments: