Wednesday, September 30, 2009

VACATION... Part 1

Malikas arrived from the Isle of Man on Friday evening, Sept. 18. We hit the road after church on Sunday, Sept. 20. Our first stop was Jackson, TN, where my sister and her husband live. They manage a retirement home there. I asked my sister why they ever decided to do such a thing. Her answer? "They give me a place to live, pay my utilities, give me 3 meals a day and once a week someone comes in to clean my house. What's not to like?" I did learn that a lot of stress goes with the job as well. But they seem to be happy and to like what they do. I'm very happy for them. On Monday morning, we went to Milan, TN, to see Marc. For those who don't know that are reading this, he's my nephew who was in a car accident and has been left in a semi-vegetative state. He seems to know when someone is there... and seems to be trying to respond with his eyes when someone talks to him. I pray that God will someday restore his brain.


After a delicious lunch (catfish sandwich) at the Wall Street Grill, we headed to my mom and dad's in Booneville, MS, for a couple of days. We celebrated my mom's birthday on Monday evening at Chili's with my dad, my sister, Bev and her husband and youngest son. We all had plenty to eat with lots of laughs and good conversation. On Tuesday, I took Malikas to some of my old stomping grounds. I found my old dorm even though the campus is at least twice the size from when I was there. Then we went to a little town called Saltillo for lunch. Malikas had seen a commercial on TV for Bishop's BBQ and since she's a BBQ nut, we decided to give it a try. Talk about good... it was THE best BBQ I've ever eaten. We shared a sampler platter so we could try almost everything... brisket (so tender), pulled pork (so tasty), ribs (fall off the bone kind)... and sides were gator tators (homemade potato chips), fried okra, fried green tomatoes. OK, not the healthiest meal... and we couldn't eat it all... but oh, so good!!! After lunch, we drove through the little town where my grandparents lived and I was surprised by all the empty stores. However, the most heartbreaking was going by my grandparents' house. It was sold a few years back and it has not been taken care of at all. Peeling paint, shutters falling off, grass and brush that needs cutting... almost made me cry. Seeing my dad made me sad, too. He often gets up and then falls and unless someone is there to catch him, nothing stops him. He has a genetic disorder called spinocerebellar atrophy syndrome. I'm a fixer so I want to take care of it and fix it and make it all better... but I can't. In fact, there is nothing anyone can do and that is very, very hard. However, he still has his sense of humor and his great smile. My dad loves the Lord and knows that God is in charge of his life. He did ask Malikas if she could move in because she jumps up and can catch him sooner than most. :-)

Malikas and I left Wednesday morning for the coast. That will be Part 2 at a later time.

No comments: